Followers

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Christmas Ginger

Back in 2012, I began a book that should have been finished by now. It's called Christmas Ginger and it's about two women who became good friends. Ginger is younger than Annie because Annie had been her lifeline in high school. They met at their apartment complex and Annie encouraged Ginger through her high school years and helped her through rough times when she had been bullied. The main story takes place five years later when Ginger has graduated from nursing school. She and her mother have moved from the complex but Annie is still there, still stuck.

I should take a moment to point out that I'm a discovery writer. I never know what will happen as I write. Characters show up and step into the story at any moment they choose. Paths change, memories happen and their worlds become more and more real to me. It's fun being a writer.

I think one thing that I hear often from other writers is the word PROCRASTINATION. And I understand this completely. I can find 9,412 other things to do before I open Word. I've had to create a morning habit in order to get through the procrastination stage. Every morning I open up Word and open my current WIP (Work in Progress). I make sure I write at least once chapter a day. I try to make my chapters at least 4,000 words long.

Another problem that I have is that I'm excited when I go to bed at night. I can't wait to get up in the morning and write! And then, the morning comes and the procrastinating starts. I've found that by opening Word first and starting to type that I am pulled into the story before I know it. And because of this habit I've created, I now am able to write a chapter a day in addition to making sure that previous chapters line up! Hey, it's working!

So back to Christmas Ginger. As you can tell, it's a Christmas story and I've set a goal to have this one published in time for Christmas this year. Let me tell you, I've never published my own books! I'm going to have to learn the typesetting and cover design. I've done covers and know how to do the layout but the design just seems better to me when done by someone else. So, I'm putting my trust in God that this will all get done at the perfect time. I also need someone that wants to read my books from beginning to end that won't quit on me. And, of course, the most important of all, an editor.

So, I'll take any and all prayers you've got to offer! I would like to see Christmas Ginger released by December 12, 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment